Photo: Jennifer McArthur Photography
DETROIT, May 1, 2023 ~ Broadcasters from across the state gathered inside Sound Board at MotorCity Casino Hotel Saturday for the annual Michigan Associations of Broadcasters Broadcast Excellence Awards.
During the ceremony, 760 WJR was awarded nine “Best in Category” Excellence Awards, including “Commercial Station of The Year” and “Best Morning Show Broadcast Personality or Team” for “The Paul W. Smith Show.”
“We are grateful and humbled to receive these incredible honors,” said 760 WJR’s Paul W. Smith.
“To be recognized by both our peers and the MAB is just one more blessing to the rewarding work that we here at WJR are so passionate about. I would like to congratulate our outstanding team of broadcast professionals who put the work in to achieve these awards, and to thank our loyal listeners, without whom we could not continue to be The Great Voice of The Great Lakes.”
March 17, 2023 ~ The Michigan Association of Broadcasters unveils select winners and finalists in the weighted categories that determine the Stations of the Year as part of the BEA Announcement Show. Those recognized were invited to the in-person Broadcast Excellence Awards Red-Carpet Gala on Saturday, April 29 inside Sound Board at MotorCity Casino Hotel.
(CONTINUED) Here is the complete list of honors awarded to 760 WJR at the 2023 MAB Broadcast Excellence Awards:
- EyeQ-ity – Web Shopping (Mark Blackwell / Rita Cargile)
- Ford Motor Company – Mustang Reveal (Ron Smerigan / Mark Blackwell)
- Ukraine to Detroit – Stories of the Fight (Marie Osborne)
- BEST – A Kwame Conversation (Lloyd Jackson)
- MERIT – Tackles Punts and Sexism (Marie Osborne)
Feature/Use of Medium:
- BEST – Dare to Dream, A Daughter’s Quest to Maintain her Father’s Automotive Legacy (Marie Osborne)
- MERIT – A Living Memorial (Lloyd Jackson)
- BEST – Mental Health and Policing, Time For a Change (Marie Osborne / Lloyd Jackson)
- MERIT – Out Of Control, Inside the Wayne County Juvenile Detention Center (Marie Osborne)
Marketing Material and Promos:
- BEST – WJR100 (Mark Blackwell / Cameron Knox / Mike Wheeler)
Mini-Documentary or Series:
- BEST – Pod Suey: Oxford ~ One Year Later (Mike Parsons / WJR Staff)
- MERIT – HealthWatch with Dick Haefner (Dick Haefner)
Morning Show Broadcast Personality or Team:
- BEST – “The Paul W. Smith Show” (Paul W. Smith / Ann Thomas / Brian Morton)
Special Show Broadcast Personality or Team:
- MERIT – “WJR Presents: The War of the Worlds” (Rich Luzenski / Mike Parsons / WJR Staff)
Use of New Media (Single Project):
- MERIT – 760 WJR Centennial Celebration (Curtis Paul / WJR Digital)
Use of New Media (All-Encompassing):
- BEST – 760 WJR Election 2022 Coverage (Curtis Paul / WJR Digital)
The Michigan Association of Broadcasters, a non-profit 501(C)(6), is an organization committed to the well-being, cooperation, and prosperity of those engaged in the business of broadcasting. The MAB’s annual Broadcast Excellence Awards, which returned to in-person this year after being held virtually over the last three years due to the COVID-19 pandemic, selects winners through a juried panel of broadcasting professionals who work outside the State of Michigan.
Learn more, and find a complete list of the 2023 winners, at MichiganMedia.com.
760 WJR TOP STORIES: