It was the tallest building in Detroit when it was built.
Restoration of the steeple and bell tower of St. Joseph Oratory church near Detroit”s eastern market has been completed.
The 2-pt-5 million dollar restoration campaign was launched nearly 3 years ago.
Heavy winds from a storm in 2016 severely damaged the steeple.
The project was the subject of a WJR News documentary ‘The Resurrection Of St. Joseph.’
Restoration took place as the parish itself was restored thru the efforts of the Detroit archdiocese, and the Institute of Christ the King, and longtime member of the parish Patrick Degens.
The bell tower was completed in 1873.
The renewal of the church has helped revitalize the neighborhood.
The church and the Archdiocese will announce more details next week.